Makaibari Tea Estate
India exports tea to more than 25 countries worldwide and $277.3 million worth of tea was exported in 2021-22. Indian tea grown in the various tea estates of India are known for their quality and richness of taste. The Makaibari Tea Estate is an Indian tea garden that is known for offering the best quality Darjeeling tea.
About Makaibari Tea Estate
The Makaibari Tea Estate is located in Kurseong sub division of Darjeeling district. This Indian team farm in West Bengal has a very unique distinction. It has the first ever tea factory to be started in the world. The factory was established in 1859 and was founded by Captain Samler of the Darjeeling Tea Company.
At present, the tea estate is run by the Luxmi Group. Located at an altitude of over 5,000 feet, the tea estate has three rivers in it. Part of the estate is a forest area and is home to a rich variety of flora and fauna. People from across the country are invited to stay in the village homestay and enjoy the beauty of nature. The Makaibair tea manufactured here is famous and is exported to countries across the world.
Did you know the Makaibairi tea estate was the first tea estate to be certified for trade? There are many other such interesting facts about this beautiful tea estate you will enjoy reading.
- It is a fully organic tea estate and was the first tea garden to be certified for the same in 1988.
- 70% of the land in the tea estate still retains its forest cover making it is a bio trope.
- The Silver Tips Imperial tea produced by the estate was presented by PM Modi to Queen Elizabeth II
- 1 lakh kg of tea is produced every year at the tea estate.
- The high quality tea produced at the tea commands high prices in the market. In 2014, a special flush tea was sold at $1,850 per kg. This is the highest ever price for any Indian tea.
- You can stay in the villages surrounding the tea estate to experience an Indian village stay while enjoying a visit to the tea estate.
- All workers at the tea estate are permanent, and no casual labourers are employed.
The Makaibairi Tea Estate has an excellent collection of teas on offer to suit your palate. Some of the tea products are:
- Springtime bloom – a first flush black tea with over notes of green tea.
- Darjoolong – a semi-fermented Oolong tea made in small quantities.
- Silver Tips Imperial – A handmade semi-fermented Oolong tea, which is the top tea made by the estate.
- Summer Solstice Muscatel – A second flush black tea offering a rich blend of flavours. It is consumed after meals.
- Organic Black Brokens – Has minimum caffeine and is rich in antioxidants. Produced in small quantities.
- Bai Mu Dan – a white tea made during the summer months.
- Silver Green – a popular green tea harvested round the year.
- Clonal Tea Chestlet – A whole leaf tea that has muscatel flavor with low caffeine content.